Friday, June 25, 2010

Clean Your Closet

Get rid of shoes that you no longer wear, have holes in them or are missing a mate. Once you are finished with your clothes and have sorted out what you want and what you want to get rid of, use the two bag method to separate the good from the trash and then dispose of them accordingly.

You can do the same thing with any closet in your home. Once you have cleared out the mess, you can then put the items that you are keeping back in your closet. In my home, I do this twice a year, usually when the weather changes.

There are containers that you can use to store seasonal items if you live in a four season climate. Unfortunately, I do not have any room to store these containers, so I make do by separating the current season with the out of season clothes so that they are easier to find. I also do not believe in storing things under the bed, although there are some storage items that you can use to do this if you are so inclined. The important thing when you are cleaning out closets is to get rid of the stuff that you are no longer using and do not plan to use again.

The same goes for the utility closet. Go through it once in a while and get rid of things that you no longer need. I kept paint cans in my closet for two years thinking that I was going to again attempt interior painting, despite the train wreck it caused the first time. I finally figured out that it would be best to have a professional do the job instead of trying to once again do my own painting and most likely make matters even worse. The paint cans went by the side of the trash where my neighbour promptly picked them up.

Again, I have found that the easiest way to get rid of clutter and junk in the closets is to empty them and then put everything back into them, discarding things that you no longer want or will use. It makes it easier to find things that you really do need when you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment